When it comes to convenience, versatility and eating for energy, it doesn’t get much easier than overnight oats in a jar!
This is one of my go-to breakfast options and is perfect for busy mornings. Here are just a few more reasons I’m such a fan of overnight oats:
- Change it up based on what you have on hand and what’s in season
- Inexpensive ingredients that are pantry staples in our house
- Eat them right out of the jar or heat them up on the stovetop, if you’d prefer something a little warmer
- Make them a few days ahead of time for a ready-to-go breakfast
- Involve your kids and let them get creative with toppings!
I used some of my favorite seasonal ingredients, including crisp apples, warming cinnamon and crunchy walnuts. I used apples two ways – applesauce as the base and chopped apples as the topping. The chia seeds are filling and soak up some of the almond milk, helping everything come together…without cooking it!
I love the combination of apples and cinnamon, especially during the colder months, so that’s what inspired this particular combination.
I had some fun making a video “how-to” in case you’re a more visual person and want to hear more about the benefits of each ingredient.
The full recipe is listed below, so check it out and give it a try!
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons chia seeds
1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon, so I used 1 tsp but start with 1/2 and add more to taste!)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch sea salt
1/3 cup gluten free rolled oats
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 apple, chopped
3-4 walnuts chopped
Optional toppings: 1 tablespoon nut butter, toasted coconut, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, 100% pure maple syrup, to taste
- Stir applesauce, chia seeds, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, and sea salt in the bottom of a mason jar.
- Add the oats and almond milk and stir everything together to combine. Cover with a lid and store in your fridge for at least 30 minutes, ideally overnight.
- Remove from fridge and stir in toppings. Eat directly from the jar or warm on the stove. Enjoy!