Most of us think of breakfast as a type of food – bagels, cereal, pancakes, waffles, eggs, toast, etc.
I like to think of breakfast as a time of day. Anything goes!
I usually have a smoothie or oatmeal, but sometimes I want something savory and have leftover chili or soup or recipes like the one I’m sharing today.
People who start the day with a protein-rich, veggie-packed breakfast tend to have fewer food cravings later in the day. Most of us – especially women – start the day with a sweet meal that contains very little protein (i.e., most granola bars, bagels, cereal), which sets us up to have more sweet cravings, hormonal imbalances, mood swings, and low energy.
Want to balance out all of that? Try this dish.
Rich in fiber and nutrients from the sweet potatoes and kale, this meal will nourish you and fill you up. The protein comes primarily from the chicken sausage from my favorite company – Bilinski’s.
Ordinarily, I’m not a fan of sausage, but here are just a few reasons why we love this product:
- They taste delicious. We always have a package in our fridge, and these sausages are one of my husband, Bill’s favorite foods.
- Their chickens are free range and pasture-raised, raised humanely and respectfully, and given access to plenty of natural sunlight and space to roam about. They are never treated with growth hormones or antibiotics.
- Bilinski’s sausages have NO gross casing– so there is no pork or lamb casing to remove! That’s the main thing that weirds me out about most sausages.
- All of their sausages are gluten-free and wheat-free.
- Only whole, clean ingredients are used (you’ll never see generic “spices” or “flavorings” in their ingredients lists!) and each ingredient is always fully listed.
We buy them at MOMs Organic Market or Whole Foods, but if you want to find where they are sold near you, use their store locator.
Combine the protein-packed goodness of these sausages with the fiber-filled veggies and a few simple spices, and you’ll have a dish that is perfect for any meal. You can even put an over-easy egg on top to add even more flavor!
Savory Sweet Potato Kale Hash
This dish is perfect for any meal but we love it as a filling and nourishing breakfast that is packed with flavor, protein and fiber.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 6 cups kale destemmed and chopped
- 5 scallions sliced into rounds
- 3 Bilinski's sausages Wild Mushroom is delicious!
In a medium skillet over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Cut sausage in half lengthwise and place cut-side down on skillet. Heat until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, sage, cumin, salt and pepper and saute for 12-15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through and fork tender. After about 10 minutes, add garlic and stir to combine. Add a few tablespoons of water to prevent potatoes from sticking and to speed up the cooking process.
Add kale to sweet potatoes along with a few tablespoons of water and toss to combine. Cover with lid to steam kale, about 2-3 minutes.
Add diced sausage and scallions and toss everything to combine. Serve warm.