Water, Sugar, Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil, Canola Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Red Wine Vinegar, Vinegar, Contains Less Than 2% of Salt, Red Raspberry Juice Concentrate, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Dried Onions, Spice, Poppy Seeds, Natural Flavor, Oleoresin Paprika, Potassium Sorbate And Calcium Disodium Edta (to Protect Freshness). Contains: Poppy Seed.
Those are the ingredients in a bottle of Kraft’s Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette.
Most salad dressings we buy in the store contain lots of preservatives and chemicals, and as you can see above, very little (less than 2% each!) of real, whole food ingredients we’d expect to see in a salad dressing.
What’s most shocking?
Kraft’s raspberry vinaigrette doesn’t even contain raspberries!
Now there’s a head scratcher.
Homemade salad dressings are one of the easiest upgrades you can make to your diet. They take very little time to make and, in most cases, require either a whisk or a blender to mix everything together.
That’s why I wanted to try a recipe for a homemade raspberry vinaigrette that tastes 100 times better than the bottled stuff…and actually contains raspberries! 🙂
I served it on top of a summer salad, whose recipe is below, but feel free to put it on any salad you like.
The dressing is inspired by this recipe, but I made several tweaks.
Farmer’s Market Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar (Bragg’s is the brand we use! Make sure it contains “The Mother”)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons honey (I used raw honey)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2/3 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salad (All veggies are ideally organic! Check out this post for how to save money on organic food.)
- 1 head of lettuce of your choice or 6-8 cups of salad greens
- 2 peaches, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sliced almond, toasted
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced into thin ribbons
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender for 30-60 seconds and liquify. If you have a Vitamix, follow these directions.
- Assemble salad and toss ingredients together, leaving almonds aside.
- Drizzle dressing on salad and sprinkle almonds on top. Toss to combine.
- Optional: Top salad with chicken or fish, or serve with a side of soup!