In the springtime, our bodies naturally want to start detoxing to “clean out” all of the gunk that we’ve stored up over the winter (which was pretty brutal this year!).
Wastes and toxins build up in our bodies from stress, processed and refined foods, sugar, fried foods, chemical additives, and pesticides. That is just one of the reasons we often feel tired and sluggish, hold on to extra weight (toxic tissue is a fat storage hog!), and don’t radiate health in the way we look.
Fortunately, this salad contains a bunch of ingredients that naturally promote the elimination of wastes and toxins. Check out all of the detoxifying ingredients!
- Scallions (also a GBOMBS food!)
- Lemon Juice
This is a great dish to bring to a potluck or cookout. You can even make it the night before and store it in the fridge to let all of the flavors come together!
I went to one of my best friend’s birthday parties a few weeks ago (yay for turning 30!) and brought this salad with me. I doubled the recipe for the party, and it made enough for a group of 50 people. It was a HIT!
Refreshing Quinoa Salad with Apples & Almonds
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed (here’s how to cook perfect quinoa)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons honey (I used raw honey)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup peeled, diced tart apple, such as Granny Smith
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (you can use regular raisins if you can’t find golden ones :))
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup of thinly sliced green onions/scallions*
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- Coarse salt and pepper
*I added about 1/4 cup of thinly sliced green onions/scallions to the original salad recipe, since they are in season and add another dimension of flavor. They are also detoxifying and an anti-cancer GBOMBS food!
Click here for the full recipe!