Smoothies are a simple way to “upgrade” your diet, adding in lots of nutrients that keep our bodies clean, energized, and healthy. Since cutting dairy out of my diet, I miss creamy foods, so smoothies are an easy way for me to get that creamy texture I love.
My hubby and I have them for breakfast most mornings. We change them up, so we are getting a variety of nutrients from different fruits, vegetables and super foods.
This smoothie has a lot going for it, including being anti-inflammatory and detoxifying AND being loaded with what Dr. Fuhrman refers to as the healthiest foods on the planet – GBOMBS.
According to Dr. Mark Hyman and other functional medicine doctors and nutritionists, inflammation and toxicity are the two reasons most of us are sick and holding on to extra weight, so we want to load up on foods that help us reduce them, and this smoothie does the trick!
Check out the amazing health benefits of the ingredients in this smoothie:
Blueberries are one of the best foods you can eat. They are low in sugar and their high antioxidant power helps protect your heart and contains potent anti-cancer compounds. In fact, berries are considered one of Dr. Fuhrman’s GBOMBS foods – the most powerful anti-cancer, anti-fat storage foods you can eat.
Avocado, hemp seeds, and flax seeds are excellent sources of anti-inflammatory omega-3 and monounsaturated fats that are not only good for our skin, hair and body but also for our brain (our brain is 60% fat!).
- Hemp seeds are an excellent source of protein (and won’t cause you to fail a drug test! You can even look at purchasing a home tca drug test to check for yourself if you undergo regular drug tests due to work, for example.)
- Flaxseed is also loaded with fiber, which helps regulate blood sugar (key to staying energized!), keep us feeling fuller, and promote healthy digestion.
Leafy greens like spinach are one of the most nutrient-dense, disease-fighting, health-promoting foods in the world. They are detoxifying, anti-inflammatory (“cool” the body), cancer-fighting, oxygenating, alkaline (reduce acidity in our body), and loaded with anti-aging antioxidants and nutrients.
- It’s important to rotate your greens, too. Check out this link for tips on how to do that. I like to rotate between kale (baby and regular), spinach, collard greens, Swiss chard and Romaine lettuce.
Pineapple. The magic of pineapple is an enzyme called “bromelain” (say it, “BRO-ma-lane”). This enzyme breaks down proteins and foods and is a natural detoxifier (AKA body gunk cleaner outer). It also helps improve circulation and reduce mucus, which builds up in our digestive system, sinuses, and respiratory system. Clearing out mucus is important for overall health and beauty. Click here to learn more about pineapple.
Blueberry Beauty Blast Smoothie
- 2 cups baby spinach (loosely packed)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup pineapple (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 avocado
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (shelled)
- 1/2 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
Put all ingredients in a blender in the order listed and blend until evenly combined, about 45-60 seconds. Add more almond milk, as needed.
**If you don’t have a high powered blender, blend the liquid and greens FIRST and then add the other ingredients.**