From pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin bread to those cute little pumpkin-shaped mellocreme candies from Brachs, pumpkins seem to be popping up everywhere as we approach fall.
I love pumpkin because of how versatile it is. You can sweeten it in smoothies, breads, muffins, pies, cheesecakes, cupcakes, and even pancakes. You can also make it savory and roast it with fresh herbs or blend it into soul satisfying soups.
Aside from being able to morph into just about any kind of recipe you can imagine, pumpkin is also loaded with nutrients that support our immunity, digestion and beauty. Pumpkin is awesome because, it’s…
- Loaded with vitamin C, an anti-inflammatory antioxidant that supports our immune health.
- High in fill-you-up fiber, which keeps us “regular” (this is a good thing!) and keeps us feeling satisfied for hours. A one-cup serving of winter squash like pumpkin has about 1/4 of your daily recommended fiber intake. Considering fewer than 5% of Americans eat enough fiber, this is a big advantage!
- Excellent source of beta-carotene – a potent antioxidant and cancer-fighter that also happens to be good for our eyes and skin health
- Packed with lycopene and carotenoids that are known to help diminish cancer cells, inhibit diabetes, hypertension, the degenerative signs of aging, and prevent macular degeneration
- Full of potassium, which helps restore our body’s electrolyte balance
- Has a low or medium glycemic index (GI) value, which means it supports a balanced blood sugar (and balanced mood and weight – they all go hand-in-hand!)
If you want to learn even more about why pumpkin rocks, check out this site.
Now, onto the recipes! Here are my top pumpkin-lover recipes from my blog and a few other places 🙂
- The Ultimate Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Warm & Cozy Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Protein-Packed Pumpkin Spice Dip
- 5-Minute Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread by A Saucy Kitchen
- Paleo Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pecan-Coated Pumpkin Spice Bites
- Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars by The Detoxinista
Here are a few ideas for savory pumpkin recipes:
- Easy Vegan Pumpkin Soup by Movement Menu
- Paleo Cauliflower and Pumpkin “Dal” by Eat Drink Paleo
- Coconut Pumpkin Curry by Meghan Telpner
- Creamy Pumpkin & Sage Pasta by The Detoxinista
- Homemade Chicken Korma by I Heart Umami
If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to make your own pumpkin puree from a real pumpkin, check out this post about How to Make Your Own Pumpkin Puree.
What are your favorite pumpkin recipes? Feel free to share below! 🙂