How do you know when you’ve come up with a good recipe?
When you find yourself scraping every last bit out of the blender and your glass with a spatula, so nothing goes to waste!
That’s what happened the other day when I made this pumpkin pie smoothie.
I originally made this recipe back in June but have since tweaked it. I’m up for enjoying pumpkin any time of the year because I LOVE pumpkin!
This smoothie/shake tastes more like a decadent pumpkin pie dessert than a breakfast or snack. I could literally drink this every day!
If you like pumpkin, you have to try this recipe 🙂
If you don’t want to use the spices outlined below, just use 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice from a jar that already has everything blended.
The Ultimate Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
If you're in the mood for a seasonal smoothie full of fall spices, try this one!
- 1 frozen banana peel before you freeze it!
- 3/4 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Medjool date pit removed
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds hulled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cloves (just a pinch!)
- 1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg (just a pinch!)
Put all ingredients in a blender in the order listed above and blend for 30-60 seconds, adding optional ingredients if you want. Enjoy!
- 1-2 handfuls of baby spinach* (it will change the color but up the nutrients!)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric for an anti-inflammatory boost
- One scoop of protein powder (i.e., ideally, a sprouted version of hemp, pea or brown rice protein powder. I also like Vital Proteins collagen peptides, Sunwarrior, Vega, and Orgain Organics proteins. Find them on Amazon.)
- Unsweetened, shredded coconut to sprinkle on top
- Baby spinach has a very mild flavor. It will make your smoothie light green instead of orange but will also boost the nutrient content without affecting the flavor.
- You can buy organic, no-sugar pumpkin purée from a can at a health foods store or make it yourself following this process. Just make sure you are buying Pumpkin Puree and NOT canned pumpkin pie filling (they are different).
- If your dates aren’t soft, soak them in warm warm water for 20 minutes before blending, so they blend more easily.