Are a chocohalic craving healthier sweet treats.
Love the taste of peanut butter and chocolate, especially in cool, creamy desserts.
Don’t want to deal with the bloating and tummy ache that usually follows a thick, dairy-based milkshake…
Then you have to try this chunky monkey peanut butter chocolate milkshake!
Peanut butter + chocolate is one of my absolute favorite food combinations, and they come together wonderfully in this recipe.
I was inspired by a recipe I found on The Detoxinista’s website for a Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake and put my own spin on it to come up with what is now one of my favorite smoothie shakes.
I subbed in raw cacao powder for the cocoa powder. Raw cacao powder is loaded with disease-fighting, anti-aging antioxidants along with tons of other vitamins and minerals.
Because it’s not heat-treated like traditional cocoa powder, cacao powder has more nutrients intact. It’s our go-to add-in to give smoothies, shakes and desserts a chocolatety taste. This is where we buy cacao powder, but you can find it at any health food store, Wegmans, and even at Home Goods.
This smoothie shake tastes so creamy, rich and decadent that you won’t believe it’s healthy. Like all of my recipes, it’s dairy-free, so it’s easier on your stomach and digestion than milk/yogurt/ice cream-based shakes.
Goodbye, tummyache…hello, tasty shake! 🙂
Chunky Monkey Peanut Butter Chocolate Milkshake (Dairy-Free)
Servings: 2 (cut recipe in half for a single serving)
Ingredients* (see notes below)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk, homemade or store-bought
- 2 frozen bananas (Make sure you peel them before freezing them. We keep a stash in our freezer)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed/flax meal
- 3-4 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 3 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 1-2 handfuls baby spinach (you won’t taste it, I promise!)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon raw cacao nibs
- Put all ingredients in a blender for 30-60 seconds, starting with the liquid first.
- Sprinkle some raw cacao nibs on top for a little extra crunch!
A few notes about the ingredients:
- We buy Silk Vanilla Unsweetened almond milk when we don’t make it ourselves. Making it is surprisingly easy though!
- The fiber and omega-3 fats from the flaxseed help to fill you up and give your body a dose of brain and heart healthy fats.
- When we buy peanut butter, we buy brands that have no added sugars, oils or salt. Ideally, the only ingredient on the ingredient list will be “peanuts.”
- If your dates are hard, soak them in warm water for 10 minutes to soften them up before blending. It will make it easier.