Crust or no crust?
Jelly or jam?
Crunchy or creamy?
No matter which combo you like best, one thing is for sure…
Most of us love PB&J!
I was in the mood for a smoothie the other day and wanted to try out a new recipe that would remind me of the flavors, creaminess, and I-wanna-be-a-kid-again feeling of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
After making some tweaks and getting my trusty taste-testing husband, Bill, to give it a try, I came up with a recipe that you have to try!
This fiber-filled, protein-packed smoothie will tantalize your taste buds and hold off hunger until lunchtime 🙂
Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie
Ingredients (*See Notes below)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk*, unsweetened
- 1 cup frozen berries (strawberries and raspberries work best)
- 1/2 banana, peeled and frozen
- 1/2 carrot, coarsely chopped (yes, you read that right! It adds a hint of sweetness and is a great way to hide a veggie!)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free rolled oats*
- 1 Medjool date, pit removed*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons natural peanut butter* (2 tablespoons if you like it more peanut buttery!)
- Pinch sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order listed above for 30-60 seconds. Enjoy!
- Use Silk Unsweetened almond milk or make your own.
- Trader Joe’s sells gluten free rolled oats in a big blue bag.
- Dates add sweetness. If you don’t have dates, add about 2 tsp pure maple syrup or honey, but dates work best. Let me know how it turns out if you use maple syrup or honey!
- The only ingredients in the peanut butter should be peanuts…and maybe salt. 2 tablespoons really seemed to do the trick, but you can always start with less and then add more!