Crust or no crust?
Jelly or jam?
Crunchy or creamy?
No matter which combo you like best, one thing is for sure…
Most of us love PB&J!
I was in the mood for a smoothie the other day and wanted to try out a new recipe that would remind me of the flavors, creaminess, and I-wanna-be-a-kid-again feeling of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
After making some tweaks and getting my trusty taste-testing husband, Bill, to give it a try, I came up with a recipe that you have to try!
This fiber-filled, protein-packed smoothie will tantalize your taste buds and hold off hunger until lunchtime 🙂
PB&J Power Smoothie
This tasty recipe is a spin on a lunchtime classic, but it's in a glass instead of on a sandwich! I'll sometimes have it as an afternoon snack, if I know dinner is a long way off.
- 1.5 cups dairy-free milk unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free oats
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 tablespoons natural peanut butter no sugar added
- 1/2 carrot coarsely chopped (yes, you read that right! It adds a hint of sweetness and is a great way to hide a veggie!)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries or raspberries
- 1/2 frozen banana peeled
- 1 Medjool date (optional) pitted
Combine first five ingredients in a blender in the order listed for about 30 seconds. Add frozen fruit and date, if you'd like some sweetness, and enjoy!
- To up the protein count, I will sometimes add a scoop or two of Vital Proteins collagen peptides.
- Trader Joe's sells gluten free rolled oats in a big blue bag.
- Dates add sweetness. If you don't have dates, add about 2 tsp pure maple syrup or honey, but dates work best. Let me know how it turns out if you use maple syrup or honey!
- The only ingredients in the peanut butter should be peanuts...and maybe salt. 2 tablespoons really seemed to do the trick, but you can always start with less and then add more!
We tried this for breakfast this morning, and it was delicious!! And very easy to make! We will definitely be having it again. 🙂
I’m so glad, Beth! THanks for taking the time to let everyone know what you thought! I have a peaches and cream recipe coming up this week 🙂