How do you know when you’ve come up with a good recipe?
When you find yourself scraping every last bit out of the blender and your glass with a spatula, so nothing goes to waste!
That’s what happened the other day when I made this pumpkin pie smoothie.
I originally made this recipe back in June but have since tweaked it. I’m up for enjoying pumpkin any time of the year because I LOVE pumpkin!
This smoothie/shake tastes more like a decadent pumpkin pie dessert than a breakfast or snack.
I could literally drink this every day!
If you like pumpkin, you have to try this recipe 🙂
Ingredients (Organic and non-GMO, ideally. Also, see notes* below)
1 frozen banana, ripe and spotty (peel it before you freeze it!)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk*
1/3 cup pumpkin pureé*
1 Medjool dates, pit removed* (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1-2 handfuls of baby spinach*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- One scoop of protein powder (i.e., ideally, a sprouted version of hemp, pea or brown rice protein powder. I also like Vital Proteins collagen peptides, Sunwarrior, Vega, and Orgain Organics proteins. Find them on Amazon.)
- Unsweetened, shredded coconut to sprinkle on top
- Put all ingredients in a blender in the order listed above and blend for 30-60 seconds, adding optional ingredients if you want. Enjoy!
If you do not have a high speed blender, blend the liquid and greens FIRST and then add in the other ingredients.
- Freshly made almond milk is best, and isn’t as hard as you might think to make! If you’re going to buy it at the store, go for the Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. A key ingredient to avoid in processed almond milk is carrageenan, and the Silk brand doesn’t have it.
- Baby spinach has a very mild flavor. It will make your smoothie light green instead of orange but will also boost the nutrient content without affecting the flavor.
- You can buy organic, no-sugar pumpkin purée from a can at a health foods store or make it yourself following this process. Just make sure you are buying Pumpkin Puree and NOT canned pumpkin pie filling (they are different).
- If your dates aren’t soft, soak them in warm warm water for 20 minutes before blending, so they blend more easily.