When I was in college, one of the nicknames given to me by my husband’s fraternity brothers was “Betty Crocker.”
I grew up baking with my mom and neighbor, Miss Muriel, and it was always something I enjoyed. I was known for making Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup cookies, GIANT chocolate chip cookies, and cookies and cream brownies in college. I wasn’t exactly into healthier baking back then, but the cookies and brownies were always a hit!
Since I’m all about upgrading what we eat, so we can eat tasty things AND feel good about it, I share dozens of sweet treat recipes on this blog. And as much as many of you like making things from scratch, sometimes it’s nice to have store bought options when you’re short on time or just want to try something new.
What if there was a company that could take one of our favorite sweets – brownies – and upgrade them by adding in some fill-you-up fiber and protein? And what if they put all of that goodness into one little package that actually tasted good?
For all of you with kiddos, what if you could find a dessert that you felt good about putting in your little ones’ lunchbox, knowing it was school-safe and nut-free and had some nourishment in it?
Meet, Pure Genius brownies and blondies.
I first tried these at the Natural Products Expo East last fall and became a fan. They were recently named the NEXTY award winner for best new sweet or dessert at Expo East 2016.
I couldn’t believe that the FIRST ingredient in both the Deep Chocolate Brownie and the Chocolate Chunk Blondie was…chickpeas!
You’d never guess that every Pure Genius brownie and blondie contains more than 40% garbanzo beans (chickpeas). And we’re talking whole beans, not flour.
Believe it or not, YOU DON’T TASTE THEM AT ALL! All they do is add protein, fiber, and a nice soft texture to these tasty treats. Here are a few more reasons why you should give these brownies a try:
- They’re gluten-free, vegan, soy-free, dairy-free, and nut-free (perfect for nut-free schools and kids with food allergies!)
- GMO-free (verified by the Non-GMO Project as not being genetically modified or made with genetically modified ingredients)
- They taste great and have a nice chewy texture, unlike most gluten-free brownies, which are often crumbly. My husband, who also has a sweet tooth, loves them as well, especially the blondie.
- Each hefty bar has under 200 calories, 3 to 4 grams of protein, 3 to 4 grams of fiber, and only 11 grams of sugar.
- They have an expiration date! Real food is supposed to go bad and rot, and these will, too. If a food lasts on a shelf for six months or more, is it really something we want to be putting in our body if we want to feel our best?
So, where can you buy these bean-based brownies?
- Visit Pure Genuis’ website here. I’ve got some good news for you! Use code RACHELSKITCHEN for 20% off all online orders. The code is valid through November 30, 2016.
- Buy on Amazon: Chocolate Chunk Blondies or Deep Chocolate Brownies.
- Find them at your local Whole Foods.
Have you tried Pure Genius brownies and blondies before? Let us know what you think below!
Just tried the blondie this weekend and it was great!!
That’s awesome! Those are my favorites 🙂
Hi Rachel. I just discovered your blog. I have reflux/LPR issues so I have not been eating any chocolate. Do you have any other thoughts for healthy desserts. The brownies look awesome but have not been eating chocolate due to the reflux.
Hi there! Thanks so much for reaching out 🙂 You can check out the Sweet Treats under my recipes page for lots of ideas, including a bunch of no-bake bites that do not contain any chocolate. The smoothies and shakes is another good page to check out. You may also want to read this post I wrote about how I healed my reflux: https://rachelsnourishingkitchen.com/how-i-healed-10-years-of-heartburn-reflux-naturally/. How did you find out about my blog? I always love to know! Thanks for stopping by 🙂