When it comes to convenience, versatility and eating for energy, it doesn’t get much easier than overnight oats in a jar!
This is one of my go-to breakfast options and is perfect for busy mornings. Here are just a few more reasons I’m such a fan of overnight oats:
- Change it up based on what you have on hand and what’s in season
- Inexpensive ingredients that are pantry staples in our house
- Eat them right out of the jar or heat them up on the stovetop, if you’d prefer something a little warmer
- Make them a few days ahead of time for a ready-to-go breakfast
- Involve your kids and let them get creative with toppings!
I used some of my favorite seasonal ingredients, including crisp apples, warming cinnamon and crunchy walnuts. I used apples two ways – applesauce as the base and chopped apples as the topping. The chia seeds are filling and soak up some of the almond milk, helping everything come together…without cooking it!
I love the combination of apples and cinnamon, especially during the colder months, so that’s what inspired this particular combination.
I had some fun making a video “how-to” in case you’re a more visual person and want to hear more about the benefits of each ingredient.
The full recipe is listed below, so check it out and give it a try!
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
This is a quick and easy breakfast option for the busy person on the go! Make 2-3 ahead of time so you can prep once and eat multiple meals. It’s a time saver!
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch ginger
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup whole rolled oats (I use gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 apple (chopped)
- 4 walnuts (chopped)
Stir applesauce, chia seeds, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, and sea salt in the bottom of a mason jar.
Add the oats and almond milk and stir everything together to combine. Cover with a lid and store in your fridge for at least 30 minutes, ideally overnight.
Remove from fridge and stir in toppings. Eat directly from the jar or warm on the stove. Enjoy!
Optional toppings: 1 tablespoon nut butter, toasted coconut, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, 100% pure maple syrup, to taste